Thursday, January 26, 2017

New quilt!

Remember that box of new fabrics that I got (told about in my last post)? With this cute Acorn Park--Aw Nuts fabric by Winthur Sempliner for Connecting Threads. 



 Squirrels and nuts and leaves in awesome colors!  
 
I couldn't resist!  Instead of finishing my UFO's, I started a new quilt with a new technique.  A technique that I have never tried before. 

It's a simple nine patch block that is then cut and re-arranged!  It eliminates the need to cut individual small pieces in three different sizes. 


Start by making a basic nine patch using charm squares (5 inch square).  I used the charm squares and interspersed them with a light yellow fabric--also cut into 5 inch squares.  After you have your block sewn, (no picture) then you cut it up!  First, cut in half (my block is lying on my ironing board--the silver background):



Then in half again, the other way:


After than, you re-arrange the smaller blocks into a pleasing arrangement: 


I then sewed all my nine patch blocks back together into the new arrangement, but adding a lattice strip about 1 inch wide (cut 1.5 inches for seam allowance) to fill the cut spaces and keep my colored patches from touching each other. 

After that I used larger lattice strips to separate each block. You can use whatever size you prefer.  The finished quilt top will look something like this (although this is not a good picture.  The yellow fabric is light and looks as if it has a pattern in this picture.  You can see the darker bedspread fabric slightly through the light yellow.  When quilted, the light color filling will make it look more like the solid yellow that it should be!)


This technique made quick work of the quilt top.  I can't wait to quilt it!

Whatca think? 

5 comments:

Sarah Leonard said...

That's gorgeous! I started a quilt ages ago but never finished it. The lure of mixed media art pulled me away :) Maybe I'll come back to it one day.

Rose Clearfield said...

The new fabric is SO cute! I love the colors and patterns you've paired with it.

Natashalh said...

Neat! I'm not patient or organized enough to quilt successfully (I've gotten about 1/3 of the way through two or three quilts but never finished one!), but I really enjoy seeing the process.

Crystal said...

That is such a beautiful quilt! My daughter and I are planning to make a quilt with heirloom fabrics she picked up at an antique store. This is just such a lovely pattern! Kudos! ;-)

Splendid Little Stars said...

cute fabric!
I've made squares before, but never a whole quilt. I'd like to make a qult someday for my granddaughter.