I recently made a mistake that resulted in a new way for me to produce one of the staples of my business! Hooray for mistakes!!!!! I mostly make aprons for wholesale clients. One of my buyers wanted some autumn aprons. So, when I was working on a child apron, I chose a bright yellow stripe accent fabric for a darker leaf print which highlighted the yellowing leaves. But the mistake came when I was finishing the apron, like I usually do, with bias binding. I have finished aprons with bias binding for a couple of years now, instead of using a facing which adds a lot more work to the project.
Sample of my previous style - Great if you want to emphasise a certain color: (Note the edging)
But this autumn apron body just didn't work with a framing of yellow. I didn't like the look of it!
so I decided to rip it out!
Then I used a simple fold over hem with a decorative stitch--Hope you can see it in this photo:
(P.S. Don't look at the ugly underside attachment of the tie--it's ugly and I ripped it out!)
Voila! Here is the finished apron! I think it has a cleaner more finished look and I like it much better! I have since used this finishing on other aprons and find that I prefer it. My new line of aprons for 2015 will all have this finished seam! Funny how a design flaw can reap a new style!